Wednesday 4 April 2012

Do You Dream Of Playing at a Higher Level?

He wasn't sure what he was getting himself into, but Daniel Koger was still willing to take the chance.
 
Now, the 22-year-old Hungarian finds himself getting his first taste of playoff hockey in North America as a member of the ECHL's South Carolina Stingrays.

Koger, a six-foot-four, 200-pound winger, is believed to be just one of two Hungarians toiling in the North American pro ranks. South Carolina is the sixth team — in two leagues — he has suited up for this season.

He began the campaign with the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL and had tryouts with the St. John's IceCaps, Providence Bruins and Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League. Each time, he returned to Cincinnati. But he was traded to South Carolina in February, then was called up to the AHL's Hershey Bears before rejoining South Carolina.

"It's been an interesting season," he said in an interview from North Charlston, S.C., where the Stingrays were preparing to host the Georgia-based Gwinnet Gladiators on Tuesday night.
But Koger is not complaining about all the jersey changes or travel that has taken from the U.S. South to Newfoundland and Labrador and points in between.

"I knew it was going to be different, because it's a pretty physical game, with more hitting, and rougher and faster because the ice is so much smaller here," he said. "I knew had to get better at those things. That's why I wanted to play overseas."

"The hockey is different and, obviously, the lifestyle is different than back home," he added. "Every day, you have to be ready to move, because you never know when you'll get your chance. It's difficult, but I like it."

Two years ago, he had a chance to sign a contract extension with his hometown team Szekeshfehervar Alba Volan HC, a perennial powerhouse that actually plays in the Austrian League. But he opted to sign with the Laredo Bucks of the Central Hockey League, arguably the lowest pro circuit, for US$450 per week.

He was willing to sacrifice the higher salary back home, telling himself he could make more money later. Still, the decision to leave a good contract and his family required some soul-searching.
His father, a former Hungarian pro player who still coaches their hometown club's junior-aged farm team, owns a couple of optical shops while his mother is a hairdresser. He also has a 19-year-old sister.

The adjustment to life in North America proved more difficult than the differences in the game for Koger, who in addition to Hungarian, speaks English and German.

"I had to ask some questions about myself, because I wasn't sure about my decision to come overseas to play in the Central Hockey League, which is not really the best league," said Koger. "I was questioning whether I would have a good season, if I was going to get a call-up or get a chance in the East Coast. I had so many questions last year. That's why I wasn't that comfortable. But this year is different. ... I know I'm going to go home for summers, and this is my job now."

Read Rest of the Article Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment