Wednesday 30 May 2012

Come Back Story - Road to London: Brittany Rogers

Positive Mind Set, Facing Adversity, Believing, Over Coming - Great Story!

Sarah Robinson, CTVOlympics.ca Staff

Miracles in sports have become so clichéd, the word usually attracts more eye-rolls than believers.

But Canadian gymnast Brittany Rogers doesn’t shy away from the term when describing her improbable return to gymnastics.

Rogers broke her inner ankle bone at the 2010 Pacific Rim Championships in Australia on a faulty double pike dismount from the balance beam.

The 18-year-old from Coquitlam, B.C. thought her gymnastics career was over.

“Not being able to do gymnastics is something I can’t explain, it was like losing someone I love,” said Rogers. “But it was a good lesson I learned. When it was taken away from me, I realized how much I really love the sport.”

Rogers saw two different surgeons, who both advised a cast on her ankle to allow it to heal over a two-month period.

But the bone did not heal.

Rogers sought a third opinion from Dr. Dory Boyer, an orthopedic surgeon based in New Westminster, B.C., who was also the medical services manager for the Vancouver Organizing Committee during the 2010 Winter Games.

Dr. Boyer got Rogers into surgery and put a pin in her ankle bone to keep it together. He also removed bone chips that had been floating around her ankle and preventing her from moving it.

That Christmas, eight months after sustaining the injury that had threatened to end her career, Rogers started to walk again.

“It was my Christmas miracle,” she said. “[My ankle] was sore and a little weak, but I could deal with that, because I knew I was on my way back to gymnastics.”

Rogers credits Dr. Boyer for her recovery, who she says has become a good friend. The two still keep regular appointments to monitor her ankle, but Rogers says she also visits Dr. Boyer for mental support.

“He’s the only one who knows what it’s really like, because he’s actually been inside my ankle,” said Rogers. “I honestly wouldn’t be here without him and his surgery.”

Rogers returned to competition at the 2011 Canadian Gymnastics Championships in Charlottetown, P.E.I.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so nervous,” said Rogers. “I felt like I was a novice again.”

She ended up placing fourth in the all-around competition.

“I didn’t have any expectations for myself,” she added. “It was nice to just go out there and do it for myself and come back from such a big injury.”

Rogers has come a long way since making her big comeback. She helped the Canadian team to an Olympic berth at the Test Event in January, and now has her sights set on making the women’s artistic gymnastics Olympic team.

She has reached the podium in almost every event in which she has competed this year; most notably with three apparatus gold medals: two for uneven bars, one on floor. She is currently ranked eighth in the world on vault by gymnastics’ international governing body, FIG.

Most recently, Rogers added to an impressive season by taking home a silver medal on vault and finishing sixth all-around at the 2012 Canadian Gymnastics Championships in Regina last week.

The results of the competition make up 40 per cent of the Olympic selection committee’s decision when selecting members of the national team. The remaining 60 per cent is based on the Olympic selection camp in Gatineau, Que. at the end of June, with results from other meets throughout the year also taken into account.

“Even if I don’t make the team, I did help qualify the team for the Olympics. Whatever happens, I’m just happy that I’ve contributed this much, this far,” said Rogers. “I’m in love with gymnastics, and it’s kind of hard to explain love, whether it’s in relationships or sports.

“It’s been such a struggle, I think it’s kind of made me who I am today. I wouldn’t trade that for the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment