Monday 7 May 2012

NCAA Hockey Experienc: An experience of a lifetime




For more college hockey information please click here!

STOCKHOLM – Before the puck dropped to start the 2012 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships on Friday afternoon in Stockholm, Evan Kaufmann stood with pride, but filled with so many emotions as the national anthem of Germany was played.

Normally there are butterflies in the belly for any first-time national team player but Kaufmann’s journey to representing his country is far more unique than most. The Minnesota native lives in Germany and is a citizen of that country. He is also the only Jewish skater on the team and one of the very few Jewish athletes to represent Germany in international competition.

“This is a really big stage with a lot of great players in the tournament and on our team and I’m glad to be a part of this,” said Kaufmann after Germany’s 3-0 win over Italy. “It is a special experience and an honour to play for the team; and I am looking forward to helping them any way I can.”

Kaufmann credits his time at the University of Minnesota from 2004-2008 with preparing him as a player and a person to enter this national stage. As a student athlete, he played all four years for the Golden Gophers and majored in accounting.

Attending the University and playing on one of college hockey’s most prestigious teams was a dream come true. Kaufmann had watched Gophers games with his dad since he was about four.

“It was a great experience and I learned a lot about myself as a person,” he said. “I definitely developed my game further as a hockey player and was a big part in shaping where I’m at today.”

There is a Minnesota connection here at the World Championships. Team USA’s Kyle Okposo and Alex Goligoski were teammates and a third, Matt DeMarchi is representing Italy.

“It’s nice to see a small crew of Gophers out here and it’s always fun when you get to play against them.”

Four years ago, Kaufmann graduated and began exploring his options. Kaufmann was undrafted and NHL scouts were not knocking at his door. But he wanted to play hockey and as it has been for so many former collegiate stars, Europe was a possibility. In his case it was Germany to play for DEG Düsseldorf.

“I didn’t have too many expectations coming into Germany and it happened pretty quickly,” Kaufmann recalled of his decision. “I knew about European hockey but no specifics about the DEL.”

Besides the usual culture change and language barrier players face when making such a move, Kaufmann’s was tangled in personal family history. Besides being Jewish, Kaufmann’s great grandparents were perished at the hands of the Nazis during the Holocaust.

“It’s definitely took a lot to drastically change our lifestyle as we have and it wasn’t easy initially to come over knowing my family’s history,” he offered. “But I always had an open mind and wanted to develop my own opinions about current day life in Germany, the hockey, everything.”

This meant judging Germany in its present state and not just by the ugly history that it will never shake.

Four years with Düsseldorf offered the chance for a professional hockey career and a stable life off the ice. Kaufmann and his wife Danielle have grown comfortable with hockey and life in Germany. Great experiences and friendships have been made along the way.

Kaufmann got German citizenship and played his first exhibition games for the adopted country in February (see story).

With a historical topic such as the Holocaust, the idea that a Jew would wear a German team sweater and represent the country has drawn both supporters and detractors.

“I have heard some people’s opinions who feel differently about what I’m doing and I respect that because everyone is going to feel the way they do with a topic like this.”

“I’m not trying to preach to anyone, I’m just trying to share my experience on what life for us since coming over. I hope that by sharing my story other people may give it an opportunity they otherwise wouldn’t have.”

Soon life will offer new experiences. Kaufmann has signed to play for the Nuremberg Ice Tigers and is about to become a dad in June.

“I’m just crossing my fingers that my wife doesn’t go into labor while I’m over here,” he said. “But more than anything I’m looking forward to getting home and starting the next chapter with my wife after this amazing experience at the World Championship.”

JOHN SANFUL

No comments:

Post a Comment