Wednesday 19 October 2011

Easton Stealth RS Hockey Stick Review

This review is from -  Hockey Gear Review

If you are a reader of this site, you know by now that I like the look of equipment to be simple and somewhat understated. Flashy has never been my look or style. One look at Easton’s new RS Stealth and you will be able to tell that it is right in my wheelhouse style wise. The RS Stealth has a nice matte black finish to it with simple grey and yellow finishes. It has clean lines and looks like an instant classic. I wonder if you will be able to customize the yellow on the stick to match your teams colours, much like how Bauer allowed customers to choose the colour on the back of the One95 shaft. I hope that they do, it will add to the great look of the stick!

Get the RS Stealth into your hands and you will feel the weight or lack there of! It is one of the lightest one piece sticks that I have ever felt. It is quite amazing that the stick can be as light as it is and still have the performance. It also has a slight textured feel to it where your hands go on the stick. It is nothing major and I am not 100% sure you can feel it while you play but it’s not a bad idea to have a little extra texture to add to the feel of the stick.

The RS Stealth is the newest in the performance series from Easton. It follows very close to its predecessors the S19 and S17. The S17 was the first to feature the ‘Elliptical Profile’ in the taper. Easton claims that it helps to reduce the torsional twist and loss of energy, which leads to a quicker shot.  I also have it on good authority that the kick point is a little higher on the stick. What does that mean for you? It means that you will be able to get your shot off faster without having to move your hands.
I found the stick to have some real good pop. I liken it to a set of golf clubs that have a large sweet spot. This stick will make you a better shooter. It seemed like my shot was quicker and heavier. I was able to put the puck where I wanted to more than usual. This is definitely a performance stick and once you play with it, you will notice the difference. My main stick was the ST and it is made to last longer but it also is also a less responsive and explosive stick. After playing around with the RS Stealth, I could feel the difference between the two. The RS can turn a marginal shooter into a very good one!

The other big improvement I noticed was that the blade has more feel to it. I was able to take hard passes without the puck jumping off the blade. It almost had a wood feel to it. It absorbed the speed of the puck and it sat quite nicely for me most of the time.

I certainly think that this stick is a very good one, maybe best in class, but it also carries a price tag to reflect it. It comes in at $299.99, although I have seen it at $249.99 as well, and the price will surely make you think twice about purchasing the Easton RS Stealth. If you are looking for a one piece stick that will last you a long time, then you are looking at the wrong stick. You are better off looking at picking up a ST or another stick of that mold. If you want a performance stick, then this is the right one for you. It has the looks and the goods to back up the price. Hockey Gear Review recommends the Easton Stealth RS for the serious hockey enthusiast who is an intermediate player or above.



No comments:

Post a Comment