Friday 12 August 2011

The Importance of Being Prepared

Do you want to be the best player you can be? I believe it’s all about how you prepare … how you prepare to practice and play, what kind of teammate you choose to be, and what you eat and when you eat it. 
Beginning this January, I will be sharing some of my experiences on how I prepared to play. I can tell you that there were some tough lessons learned along the way - some failures, some victories – but all in all they helped me stay in the game I loved for many more years than I ever expected.
The most important thing I learned in my career was that you were only as good as your last game. So I was constantly searching for a way to feel the best I could every game. What I eventually realized was that it’s all about how you recover. If you feel good you can practice harder, feel stronger and more energized in your workouts and ultimately play better.

My formula for recovery starts with building a strong foundation and then following that up with proper maintenance throughout the season. The foundation is very important. It helps you to start your season strong and build confidence but the key is to feel that good down the stretch. That’s where the maintenance comes in. After all, we are luckiest when the season is long and we feel our best come playoffs.

The main elements in my recovery formula are smart training and optimum nutrition. Smart training means training specifically for hockey – building strength, power, speed and agility. Optimum nutrition is about eating the right things at the right times.

Here are three videos to help you prepared physically before or during your hockey season:

The Swiss Ball Roll Out

The Side Bridge Rotation 

Hurdle Duck Unders




No comments:

Post a Comment