Monday 14 November 2011

To Coach Wooden, Everyone Was an Equal


To Coach Wooden, Everyone Was an Equal

Swen Nater - His Blog


My boss’s, boss’s, boss walked by me in the hallway. I said “Hello” but he didn’t answer. Deep in thought? I guess. However, that would have been our CEO and not me, I’m pretty sure he would have turned into Mr. Friendly.

From experience, I have concluded, it is human nature to be nicer to those we deem valuable to us, or those we think are our equals or higher, and not so much to those who are not. This is not limited to the workplace. It happens in classrooms, sports teams, clubs, and churches.  Generally speaking, people respond to others according to the respect they have for them.

I’m not proposing The President of the United States spend as much time interacting with a citizen as he does with one of his cabinet members. But, I do think he should do the basics, just so that citizen knows Obama considers him or her an equal.

What are the basics?

1. A verbal greeting

2. A non-rushed friendly conversation

3. An appreciative departure.
 
Here’s an example of when I witnessed a little boy (with his father behind him) approaching Coach Wooden after one of our games. The conversation went like this.

“Mr. Wooden. Mr. Wooden.”

“Yes, son.”

“I think you’re the greatest coach and I love watching the games. I think UCLA is the best.”

“Well, thank you son but you know, you have to have good players to win.”

“Yeah. I guess. But you’re good and my father says you’re the best.”

“Do you play basketball?”

“Yup, but I’m not very good.”

“You practice and someday you may be a Bruin.”

“OK. I’ll practice. Will you sign the game program for me?”

“Of course. What’s your name?”

“Alan”

“There you go, Alan. Are you and your father coming to the next game?”

“We sure are.”

“Then I’ll see you then and please stop by. Thanks for saying hello.”

This type of humanity, humility, and consideration was common practice for Coach Wooden. When on the road, he acknowledged the janitor as heartily and genuinely as he did the opposing coach. When on campus, he conversed with students as often as college professors.

Do you remember the Coke commercial with Mean Joe Greene and the little boy? Mean Joe was limping on crutches off the football field, down the tunnel, and toward the locker room when the little boy asked him if he needed help or if he wanted his Coke. At first, Joe declined but then when the boy offered again he said, “Thanks,” took the Coke, and began to drink. The boy, turning and walking away, said, “See you around.” Mean Joe said, “Hey kid. Catch,” and tossed his uniform top to him. The boy caught it and said, “Wow! Thanks Mean Joe.” Joe smiled.

That’s kind of what I’m talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment