Tuesday 31 January 2012

In Defense of Undersized Hockey Players

Article from MI Hockey Kid!

My kids have represented the bigger end of the scale and the smaller end of the scale in youth hockey over the years. My last is a little guy. Not tiny, but he's small with a late birthday (curse you Malcolm Gladwell and Outliers!) and I worry he's just not going to be that big. Of course I'm dating myself here, but when I was a kid the average size of a hockey player was about 5'9. Now it's over 6'1 and for every St. Louis and Kane, there's a Chara, and a Myers and a host of buildings on skates. I understand. My kid's not going to the NHL and I'm pretty sure yours isn't either, but when they're playing youth hockey and facing off against kids who are in some cases a full 6-8 inches taller - it's a huge advantage. Finally someone has put into words what I've always thought.


A guy named Kevin Neeld who runs a site called KevinNeeld.com (clever) has come up with what I believe is the definite missive to parents called "A Letter to Parents of Undersized Hockey Players." How to, on how not to sweat the lack of growth at an early age (and beyond). Among the statements he makes that I really appreciate is the assertion that being small actually makes you work harder:

It is often the under-sized players that are forced to develop above-average skill sets in order to compete at a level with larger and/or faster players. They need better hands, better skating ability, an improved spatial awareness, ability to read the play, and overall understanding of the game. 

Well said. The article is most importantly a call to parents to chill out. I appreciate that even more. Now excuse me while I go measure my kid's height and weight for the third time this season. You can read the article/letter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment