Thursday 29 March 2012

Caffeine’s effects and recommendations

In the month of March, people across Canada purchased coffee in droves in hopes of winning the 1 in 6 prizes posted from Tim Horton’s “Roll up the Rim” contest. (Most of the prizes being a free coffee!) This concept of buying coffee to win coffee inspired me for this month’s hot topic –caffeine.


Like most individuals, I wake up in the morning and without even thinking I have added the water to the coffee machine and I am carefully measuring out the number of scoops to make the perfect pot of coffee. After the first sip, I am sighing with relief knowing I will make it through the day. I began to question what it is about coffee that “pumps” me up for the day. After a little digging I discovered, not surprisingly, caffeine is a mild stimulant, it helps delay drowsiness and speeds up reaction time. But why? Well, it blocks an important neurotransmitter, adenosine, in the brain responsible for slowing down nerve impulses.

Imagine the Yellowhead highway free of traffic lights, construction and road blocks and you have the effects of caffeine on your brain.

Read rest of the article here!

No comments:

Post a Comment