Thursday 15 March 2012

The True Meaning of Conditioning

The True Meaning of Conditioning
Swen Nater

This is going to be a rather long posting. I’ll try to keep the quality high from beginning to end, though I may become a little tired. I’ve not done this long a posting before. [deep breath] Here goes.

It was early on an April 1980 San Diego morning, the first morning after the last game of the San Diego Clippers season. I put on my Clippers socks, basketball shoes, practice shorts, and practice shirt and walked out the front door of my home into the cool, but soon-to-be warm, day. The eastern sun, slowly rising like a released golden balloon, almost blinded me. But it warmed me slightly.

My usual off-season workout was weights, sprints, footwork, jumping, or shooting. I had never tried running. As I stared jogging I thought, ‘With the kind of shape I’m in, I should be able to run all day.’ The “eye-opener” was just around the corner.

Planning on “getting it over with” in as little time as possible, I picked up the pace from a jog to a run. My heart rate increased and leveled off a bit. About 5 minutes into the run, my legs began to tighten a little and my breathing shifted from aerobic to anaerobic. In other words, I began seeking more air. It felt like the third overtime. I slowed down. That didn’t help much so I reduced my pace to the slowest jog I could muster, hoping to finish the two miles. Finally, after one mile, I quit and began my walk back home. With my head down, lungs burning, hands on my hips, and confused, I could not figure out why someone who could run four miles in a basketball game (combined with jumping and extreme wrestling) and not be tired, couldn’t run two miles straight without jumping and no one hanging on him. I was conditioned to play more than an entire NBA game but not conditioned to run two miles.

In 1974, I was challenged, by a 60 year old PE teacher in San Antonio, Texas, to a game of racquetball. I had never played before but I figured, since I’m used to running on an 84’ X 55’ court, the much smaller area would not be a problem. Because of the teacher’s experience, he had me running from wall to wall while he stood in the middle of the court, sadistically, joyously, and without an ounce of compassion, spreading the ball around. Ten minutes into the match, I began tripping over my tongue and was convinced I had used all the oxygen in the place.

Conditioning is Activity-Specific

It can be said; a couch potato is in condition because he’s accustomed to sit five hours in front of a television set working the remote, eating potato chips, and drinking Bud Light. It can be said, “He’s in shape.” He’s not in great physical shape but he’s in shape to sit in one position for 5 hours without becoming physically, mentally or emotionally fatigued.

A New York traffic intersection cop is conditioned to move his arms and stand for hours without becoming physically, mentally, or emotionally fatigued. A court stenographer, scorekeeper at a basketball game, graveyard custodian in an office building, and garbage collector, are all in a condition I am not. And, they are not in the condition I am for what I do. Conditioning is activity-specific.

Therefore, training must also be activity-specific. And, the more the training is “like the activity” itself, the more properly trained people will be.

To Read the rest of the article - Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment