Monday 26 September 2011

$$$$ - Parents Need to Set the Pace On Costs


hockey_equipmentI read every day how the Canadians are sick of youth hockey costs - and their rinks are subsidized! There's not much we in Michigan can do to fees except the time worn - "send your kids back to house," which for many of us in not an option. But there is something we DO have control over. Be smarter on equipment purchases.

I walked into a locker room of my youngest son's Pee Wee team and noticed that there was a noticable surge in the purchase of  a certain type of hockey stick with a $200+ price tag. Now, never mind that the kids were 11. Hey it's their choice and their money, but they have no idea the damage they do. My son pointed this out and said, "Dad the only thing that separates that stick from mine (which was much closer to $100) is the weight." Well, three cheers to my kid for being frugal. I'm very fortunate. But has anyone thought about the message that sends to the other kids in the locker room? Add that to the $600 skates and $250 helmets I've seen on some of these "future NHLers" and there's enough peer pressure to go around. My son wears his older brother's hand me down stuff and we always buy skates on close-out from the previous year's model. I know many of you do the same. And it's not because we can't afford new. I just refuse. Why? I told him as soon as stick manufacturers give me a "50 goal guarantee" he could have one. I know kids who are the best players on their teams and their stick is made with WOOD!

Expensive equipment doesn't make for better hockey players. It does, however, cause massive peer pressure on kids and eventually their parents, in the locker room. Some of whom which would be lucky to do needed home repairs on their income, never mind buy new unnecessary hockey equipment. There's always a parent on a team that has expendable income to get their child the best and newest. All I'm asking is they feel for those in the locker room whose parents can't. Peer pressure is at school as well with shoes, clothes, etc. We can't control that. We can control what goes on in our locker room. The best way to cut costs in equipment (which is the one cost we still can control) is to be smarter in how we buy it - or borrow it in some cases. Every rink has a used equipment sale. We do it for skiing, why not hockey? Kids until their upper years in HS are constantly on a growth trend. Be smarter. Take the pressure off the other kids in the locker room (who ALL notice when Johnny has a new stick, helmet, etc.) and decide as team parents to start a new course on purchases. It might just save a kid from jumping to a "cheaper" sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment